Thursday, January 2, 2020

A Quick Note About Perspective


Perspective is how we see the world, and our place in it. As a result, it then becomes how others see us. Very important, your take on the world.
In fact, as you grow older, your take on the world becomes more important to you than the world’s take on you; we never really completely stop being concerned with how people/the world views us, and that’s a good thing, as it helps us to stay motivated and ultimately relevant. But there are advantages in the shifting perspective that allows you to focus more on your own perceptions of the world, the main one being that you worry less about what other people think. I can’t tell you how much of a relief this becomes (like I'm actually able to do it-- ha!), as anything that can reduce worry in your life is gold.

Similarly, perspective is also the ability to cast ourselves out of ourselves and see the world through different— not eyes, per se, but for lack of better verbiage, there it is. This particular ability, I believe, is part of the skill set that has weakened over the years from generation to generation, and arguably the reason we “accuse” the younger generation of being more rude, lacking in manners, and just generally less courteous. I don’t necessarily think it is of their volition that they are this way; rather, I think it’s a lack of perspective, or the application of said perspective.

Let’s talk about it from that perspective (ha-ha). How does one “cast themselves out of themselves?” I think it starts with a basic general awareness— being aware of your surroundings. Walking through a door, for example, and being aware that maybe there’s someone behind you on whom you might not want to slam the door. Like I said earlier, I don’t think it’s a conscious act of rudeness as much as it is a lack of perspective; a lack of the awareness of your immediate surroundings.

I’m not suggesting we have to worry ourselves incessantly over other people. Re-read the first paragraph above. There’s a difference between awareness and worry. A significant difference, in fact.

A more literal interpretation of perspective becomes a huge tool for creative people: the ability to "think outside of the box." What does that even mean? What box? It is simply the ability to look at something from a different angle, sometimes literally, from which you would otherwise notice.

This is the root of creativity, and the lead “muse” in the formation of ideas. Simple example: the half-glass of water. Is it half full, or is it half empty? What do you normally think? Focus on that, then flip it. If you normally think of the glass as half empty, think of it as half full. That simple shift in how you view something (re: perspective) can mean the difference between being optimistic versus being pessimistic, and that can affect your entire attitude.

No teach is that consistently good!
As a writer, I am always trying to see things in a new way. This opens the door for ideas, which become the kindling on which the conflagration of creativity feeds. Sometimes you can physically change your perspective to see something in enough of a different way. This is an essential problem-solving skill. This is one of the ways I teach perspective to my “kids” at school. I tell them that, “…we’re all in the same classroom, sharing the same experience, from different perspectives. Want to test that? Switch with me.” I then have them stand in the front of the room, while I go and sit in their chair within the class. “What’s changed? We’re still in the same class, still talking about the same things. So what’s different?” The student will shuffle nervously, before admitting that what has changed is their perspective. They were able to see that a different perspective, sometimes, is all it takes to see things enough to initiate change.

Next, I’ll have them tell a story from the front about something fun that they experienced. While they are doing that, I’ll pull out my cell phone and begin to play a game, or I’ll start talking to the person sitting next to me, or I’ll put my head down and feign sleep. Inevitably, they will stop, interrupted by my disturbance. I’ll then add something to the effect of how being in the front of the room is quite different from being in the class itself, and that hopefully they can now understand why as a teacher I frown on the aforementioned behavior. They usually all agree. That being said—it doesn’t necessarily make them actually stop the disruptive behavior, but I keep hoping.

Courtesy of perspective.

...coming or going?
















© Ray Cattie

No comments: